Give From the Heart...
Outreach Center Hours
Monday - Friday 6 to 3
Weekends and Evenings, as scheduled for programs
Monday - Friday 8 to 3
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to noon
Monday - Friday 6:00 to 8:30
Monday - Saturday 11:30 to 1:00
Sunday - Monday 5:30 to 7:00
Food Box Distribution (sign up at office)
Monday - Friday 8:30 to 10:30 & 1:30 to 3:00
Monday - Friday 6:30 to noon*
*Last load of wash has to begin by 10:30 a.m. due to water pressure issues in dish room during lunch
Monday - Friday 6:00 to 11:30* & 2:30 to 3:00
*Showers closed during lunch due to water pressure issues in dish room during lunch
Sunday 6:30 p.m. (tv room)
Tuesday 9:00 a.m. (dining room/bread room lobby)
Tuesday 1:00 p.m. (bread room lobby)
Wednesday 1:00 p.m. (bread room lobby)
Friday 6:00 a.m. (tv room)
Think of Things Our Clients Need
Several of the people we serve travel on foot. Especially in the heat of the summer, it would be nice to travel on a bicycle. Bikes with baskets are especially nice!
FOOD BOX NEEDS
Sometimes We Need Things
The kitchen at The Journey Home has a list of items needed most of the time for the food boxes we give out each week:
- canned vegetables
- canned fruit
- dried beans and peas
- peanut butter
- macaroni and cheese
- pasta sauce
- cereal (oatmeal, Cheerios, grits)
- canned or dry milk
- biscuit mix
- canned entrees/canned meat
- soups, canned or dried
The Face of Homelessness
- 3.5 million Americans experience homelessness each year.
- Children make up 23% of the homeless population in America.
- There are 770,000 homeless children enrolled in public schools in the United States.
Giving of Yourself at The Journey Home
Where Will They Put Me?
One thing that can be a little scary when you've offered to give your time to a need is the not knowing where you'll be used. Well, we aren't asking you to clean toilets (unless you just really enjoy that), so you can breathe a sigh of relief! Areas where we need volunteers are...
- The computers. Maybe you know enough about how to write a resume' or search for particular items on the internet that you could be of help to someone else. This might be your area.
- The kitchen. Maybe you and some of your friends would like to volunteer to help prepare lunch or prepare the eating area for the diners. This might be your area.
- The closet. Maybe you are great with organizing clothes or helping other people find clothes. This might be your area.
- The garden. Maybe you have a green thumb or are just a hard worker outside. This might be your area.
- The study. Maybe you enjoy studying God's Word with others or you just enjoy helping others find answers in The Bible. This might be your area.
The Commitment to Give
Everyone is busy with whatever is going on in life at their house. By getting just a little involved, whether it's daily, weekly, or monthly, you might find some benefits you weren't expecting.
- Maybe you're missing someone in your life...a parent or child who is no longer here or who is far away. Helping someone at The Journey Home just might help ease your loneliness.
- Helping others just feels good.
- You've seen the reruns several times...helping someone else for an hour will never be the same show twice.
- Spending a little time at The Journey Home will help you learn about something you might not have known about before.
- Helping out at The Journey Home will typically mean helping someone who is struggling more than you are in life. There is nothing like helping someone else to help you take your mind off of your own problems--no matter how large or small they might be.
"And Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."